Holidays & Leisure

Holidays and festivities 2017


Jan 1 Sunday New Year’s Day National holiday
Feb 26 Sunday Carnival Observance
Mar 26 Sunday Daylight Saving Time starts Clock change/Daylight Saving Time
Apr 9 Sunday Palm Sunday Observance
Apr 13 Thursday Maundy Thursday National holiday
Apr 14 Friday Good Friday National holiday
Apr 16 Sunday Easter Day National holiday
Apr 17 Monday Easter Monday National holiday
May 1 Monday Labor Day / May Day Observance
May 12 Friday Great Prayer Day National holiday
May 25 Thursday Ascension Day National holiday
Jun 4 Sunday Whit Sunday National holiday
Jun 5 Monday Whit Monday National holiday
Jun 5 Monday Constitution Day Observance
Oct 29 Sunday Daylight Saving Time ends Clock change/Daylight Saving Time
Dec 24 Sunday Christmas Eve Observance
Dec 25 Monday Christmas Day National holiday
Dec 26 Tuesday 2nd Christmas Day National holiday
Dec 31 Sunday New Year’s Eve Observance


School holidays (not colleges and universities)

Autumn holiday – 1 week (mid October)

Christmas holiday – 12-14 days
Winter holiday – 1 week (mid February)

Easter holiday – 8 days (March/April)

Summer holiday – 6 weeks (July/August)




About living in Denmark:


It is very common for Danes to join a sports club or to do after school activities. There is a large range of possibilities both especially in the cities and towns, a little less in the rural areas.


Language & Currency

The language spoken in Denmark is Danish. It is the only place in the world where you can find this language. The two neighbouring countries Sweden and Norway have languages related to Danish, and most people understand each other whether from Denmark, Norway or Sweden.
We have a lot of dialects in this small country. Some dialects are completely incomprehensible to others.
Most Danes speak a very good English. It is taught in schools from grade 1. German is taught from grade 6.
You can learn Danish in different ways. Here are some links:


The currency in Denmark is called Danish kroner.
● 1 krone is divided into 100 ører
● 1 euro is approximately 7.5 kroner
● 1 US dollar is approximately 6.5 kroner
● 1 UK pound sterling is approximately 10 kroner
Currency converter:

Health system & Social security

Health system

Everybody who is a permanent resident in Denmark can use the Danish healthcare system freely. Most examinations and treatments are free of charge. All permanent residents will receive a national health insurance card from their local authority. The card works as an identity card and must be presented at all visits to doctors, emergency rooms and hospitals.


Getting a health card:


It is possible to pay for extra health insurance and for private clinics and hospitals.


All people who are resident in Denmark choose a specific general practitioner (GP) they can contact if they fall ill. GPs deal with much more than disease, for example vaccination and birth control. A GP can also help you prevent disease caused by obesity, smoking, lack of exercise, etc. Sometimes a GP may ask you questions that may surprise you. That is because the GP would like you to think about what you can do yourself to avoid becoming ill. In Denmark, as in many other countries, each individual is considered responsible for looking after his or her own health.


Alarm 112 is an alarm centre you call if you need an ambulance, for example if a person suddenly falls very ill or becomes unconscious. You should also call 112 in the case of an accident or if somebody is seriously injured.

Continue reading


There are different options on where to live, if you come to work or study in Denmark. If you are going to study, it is most common to live in student halls. Danish colleges and universities do not have on-campus housing. It is however, not very easy to find a room, especially in the larger cities like Copenhagen and Aarhus.
Other options are apartments. You can live by your own or you can share an apartment with other young people. This makes the rent cheaper, so it is quite popular.

This page might help you:
Or this one:

Prices are very different.
Student halls, all over the country, are at a range from Euro 330 – 730 per month (the most expensive have 2 rooms)
An apartment in Copenhagen ranges from Euro 650 – 1100 (most expensive have 2 rooms)

Taxes & work rules

All citizens use the public sector in some way, and as a general principle all citizens must thus
help pay for it. The tax funds are used to pay for the different expenses that Danish society has such as welfare benefits, state pension, child benefits and for public institutions such as schools, hospitals, libraries and the police.
The Danish tax system is progressive. This means that the higher your income, the more taxes you have to pay. In many other countries citizens pay less tax than in Denmark, but in return they have to pay to go to school, to the hospital, the doctor’s, etc. Denmark has its own Minister of Taxation, Ministry of Taxation and its own taxation laws. All education in Denmark is for free
More info:

Work rules
A full time job in Denmark is determined to be 37 hours per week, but it is not by law. In some collective agreements, shorter or longer working hours are possible. But your must never work more than 48 hours per week in average.
You are entitled to get a contract if your hours are 8 or more per week.
Read more:

Rest breaks are paid by yourself. If you work more than 6 hours, you have the right to have a break. There are no rules about the length of the break, but you must have the opportunity to have something to eat and drink. Usually the lunch break is half an hour.

The Holidays Act determines that you are entitled to five weeks of paid holiday each holiday year. The holiday is calculated as five work days per week. Another 5 work days are available, if you are employed by the municipality or region. but your employer can decide if you can spend them all as days off or if some of them can be paid.
The Holidays Act determines that you are entitled to five weeks of paid holiday each holiday year. The holiday is calculated as five days per week, which totals 25 days per year. The holiday year starts on May 1st. You are entitled to paid holiday if you have earned the right. To earn the right, you must have worked for a whole year.

Permits and visas

To be granted a residence permit, you must prove that:
● You have been accepted as a student to a higher education at a college, university or an institute that has been approved by the Danish government.
● You are either completing an entire educational programme offered by a Danish institution of higher learning or are a visiting/guest students attending part of a programme that you have already commenced in our country of residence
● you can support yourself financially for the duration of your stay. If you are to pay a tuition fee, you must document that you have paid the tuition fee for the first semester or year.
● You can speak and understand the language of instruction and have a functional command of either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German.

Students from outside EU/EEA/Switzerland will be charged a fee when applying for a residence permit (visa) to study in Denmark. For students from EU/EEA and Switzerland, higher education in Denmark is free. So is participating in an exchange programme. Also there is no payment for tuition if you, at the time of application, have a:
● Permanent residence permit
● Temporary residence permit that can be upgraded to a permanent one (‘midlertidig opholdstilladelse mmf varigt ophold’)
● Residence permit as the accompanying child of a non-EU/EEA parent holding a residence permit based on employment
All other students must pay tuition fees. For full-degree students the fee is Euro 6,000-16,000.
How to obtain a work permit
A number of schemes have been designed in order to make it easier for highly qualified professionals to get a residence and work permit in Denmark.
● The Greencard scheme
● The Positive List
● The Pay Limit scheme
● The Fast-track scheme


If you are a citizen from another EU/EEA country, you have the same rights as Danish students according to admission to education.
If you have an education from overseas and wishes to use it in Denmark, the Danish Agency for Higher Education will value it.
To read more:




In Denmark education is compulsory for children below the age of 15 or 16. It is however not compulsory to attend a public (folkeskole) or private school. In some cases children are being homeschooled. It could be children with special needs or social problems. But they must end up with the same educational level as children attending school.

After grade 0-9 (elementary and lower secondary) they must choose a youth education. It can be 1) 10th grade, 2) vocational school, 3) gymnasium (high school). Only gymnasium opens the doors to college and university.

10th grade:

After 9 years of compulsory school, students can choose an extra year to become more mature, get better grades and get ready for further education, such as high school (gymnasium) or at a vocational school. Students will improve academically, personally and/or socially.

Vocational school:

Practical training in a company alternates with teaching at a vocational school, in the Danish vocational education and training programmes (I-VET). They consist of two basics and one main programme. The students can either start with the first basic programme (GF 1) or they can start with practical training if they have a signed agreement with a company.


There are four different programmes:
1) General education (STX), 2) Short general education (HF), 3) Business education (HHX) and 3) Technical education (HTX). They all (if passed) qualifies for further higher education.

You can find more information here: