Permits & Visas


The work permit is a work licence for non European people to work in Austria. The permit is valid for 2 years.

For the permit there are 2 requirements:

  • 52 weeks of employment and living in Austria or
  • Dependant (family member àwhen someone has a permit and the person has been living 1 year in Austria, then the partner or child can apply for it too)

The expenses are:

  • For the application € 43,-
  • For the attachment € 3,60
  • And for exhibition of the permit € 76,- and € 6,50


European Union members and Swiss people do not need a visa for staying in Austria.

There are 4 different visas:

  • Schengen-Visa

This visa is for non-European Union Members, who stay less than 90 days. The cost amounts to about € 60,-.

Some documents are necessary:

  • Completed and signed application form
  • Passport
  • Passport picture meeting the ICAO-criteria
  • Copies of previous Schengen visa, if any
  • Travel itinerary/reservation
  • For students: confirmation of enrolment
  • For retirees: proof of entitlement for retirement benefits


  • Visa D

The Visa D is a national visa, which entitles the holder of the visa to stay for a period from 91 days up to six months in Austria.

The fee for a visa of more than 90 days is 100 Euros.

The visa application form for a long-term stay can be collected at the respective Austrian representation free of charge.

  • Job-seeker visas

High-skilled third-country nationals who would like to seek employment in Austria can apply for a residence visa, category D with a period of validity of six months.

Besides compliance with the general requirements for the issuance of visas the applicant needs to provide evidence regarding his/her special qualifications.


  • Red-White-Red Card

This aims to facilitate the immigration of qualified third-country workers and their families with a view to permanent settlement in Austria, based on personal and labour-market related criteria.

The Red-White-Red Card is issued for a period of twelve months and entitles the holder to fixed-term settlement and employment by a specified employer.

The following persons are eligible for a Red-White-Red Card:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *